An awesome work of art riddled with meaning, the flash of lightning emblazoned across David Bowie’s face has become a truly iconic image.
If you’re thinking of incorporating glam rock into your image, below is a quick how-to and list of recommended products for recreating Bowie’s dramatic look.
Eyes & Brows
- Apply Maybelline Khol Express Glam Black eyeliner to the upper and lower eyeline.
- Dust a small amount of Benefit’s CORALista coral-pink cheek powder across the upper eyelids.
- To make eyes ultra-distinctive, opt for lashings of Maybelline’s The Falsies mascara.
- To retain an edge of masculinity, thicken brows with layers of Benefit’s Brow Zings.
- When drawing the outline of Bowie’s iconic lightning bolt, use a high quality, black liquid eyeliner.
- You can use whichever colour scheme you like, but we decided to add a purple twist to the original red flash of lightning.
- Begin by applying Estee Lauder Amethyst Pure Color Eyeshadow along the left side of the lightning bolt.
- Then, for a gradient flow of colour, fill in the rest of the lightning bolt with a combination of “Hold my Gaze” & “Magic Moor” eyeshadows from MAC’s Beauties Play it Cool eyeshadow palete.
- Inject glitter rock into your appearance by powdering Barry M’s Emerald Dazzle Dust across the MAC eyeshadow.
- No7 Essentially Natural Mineral Foundation (220 light beige) will create a pale, smooth and even appearance.
- For a touch of New Romantic rouge, apply a combination of Benefit’s CORALista coral-pink cheek powder and Dallas face powder along the cheekbones.
- 17 Candy Collection Ultimate Volume Lip Gloss is great for creating a glossy bubblegum finish.
- For ultimate volume, all you’ll need is a comb and Batiste dry shampoo (it’s the new hairspray!)
- Spray, backcomb and get ready to rock…
“I once asked (John) Lennon what he thought of what I do. He said: `it`s great, but it’s just rock and roll with lipstick on.'” – David Bowie